Wednesday, October 5, 2011

sweet southern cornbread party!


I love my cast iron skillet! I just feel so pioneer when I use it & it makes me happy. I'm sure it's a coincidence but EVERYTHING I cook in my cast iron skillet tastes extra good! You know how food always tastes better when you're camping? That's what cooking in my cast iron skillet does for me. I also use it on my flat stove top all the time with no problem.


Growing up in Indiana, beans & cornbread was one of my favorites at the supper table. It didn’t hurt that my mom served it with fried potatoes & she makes the best! I love sweet cornbread and this is the recipe for you if you like it sweet. It’s debatable weather REAL Southerners make their cornbread sweet or not. If you’re from the South let me know how YOU like it! The amount of sugar can be easily adjusted or completely eliminated for your taste! Mark loves it even sweeter, drizzled with honey.


Sweet Southern Cornbread


Yield: 12 servings


ingredients:


1 2/3 cups flour

1 2/3 cups yellow cornmeal

2/3 cup sugar

5 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

1 2/3 cups milk

2 eggs, beaten

½ cup butter, melted


directions:


1. Butter a 10 or 11 inch cast iron skillet & place it in oven. Preheat oven & skillet to 425 degrees.

2. Whisk together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder & salt in a large mixing bowl until well blended. Add eggs & milk. Stir to make a smooth batter. Stir in melted butter just until blended. Do not over mix.


3. Pour into preheated, buttered skillet & bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown & toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. If you are not using a preheated cast iron skillet it may take a couple extra minutes.



*P.S. If you don’t have a cast iron skillet this also bakes perfectly in a 9x13 pan.

2 comments:

  1. this is great, makes me want to stay in my kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love being the camp cook as everyone thinks your food is the best they've ever eaten! Cooking with my cast iron in my home kitchen always makes me smile as I get a hint of campfire smell when the food is cooking and it reminds me of the wonderful times I've had with my family in our favorite camping spot. Smells bring forth such vivid memories.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...