Monday, July 9, 2012

watermelon rice krispies treats party!


I feel very blessed to be part of the organization, Desserts for the Deserving. Desserts for the Deserving was established in 2011 with the sole purpose of bringing a little bit of sunshine to the lives of strangers. Bloggers, bakers & crafters offer their time and resources and are matched up with a family or individual who has been nominated for a random act of kindness.

The family I have been matched up with is Derrick & Ruth & their children. I know a batch of cookies will not ease the pain they are suffering from the very recent loss of their beautiful sweet baby. I have been praying for them since the day I received their nomination. I hope they know that people care about them & love them, even strangers.

Today I spent several hours thinking of Derrick & Ruth while I prepared cinnamon rolls, peanut butter-chocolate chip-oatmeal cookies (minus the m&ms) and these Rice Krispies treats! I packaged them up & shipped them off. I think these would brighten your day too! They are a snap to make & would be a fun no-bake treat for a Summer BBQ or kid's birthday party.

I saw these ADORABLE rice krispies treats from last year at Dine & Dish and couldn't wait to make them. Their recipe calls for strawberry flavored marshmallows and lime Kool-Aid but I just couldn't adulterate the scrumptious classic Rice Krispies Treats recipe. So I used food coloring to make my watermelon & rind.

Watermelon Shaped Rice Krispy Treats

ingredients

6 Tablespoons butter, divided in 2
6 cups mini marshmallows, divided in 2
8 cups Rice Krispies, divided in 2
Green & red food coloring
chocolate chips or raisins for "seeds"

1. Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add 3 cups mini marshmallows & stir until melted. Remove from heat & stir in some green food coloring until its the color you want. I just poured a bit from the bottle. I didn't measure but it was probably about 1/2 teaspoon. Stir in 4 cups Rice Krispies until completely coated.

2. Scoop green Krispies mixture into a well buttered 9 inch round cake pan. Butter your hands or a spoon and press it around the outer edge of the cake pan to form a ring. Set aside. Wash your large saucepan so you can reuse it for the red.



3. Repeat step 1 except add red food coloring. At this point my teenager came in the kitchen & said, "Why in the world are you making a Christmas wreath in July?" I said, "You'll see."

4. Scoop red Krispies mixture into the center of the cake pan. Press to be level with the green outer ring.


5. After mixture completely cools place a few raisins or chocolate chips on top as seeds. Turn pan upside down to remove from pan. Slice into wedges & serve or put them on lollipop sticks & package for gifts! I cut mine into 8 large wedges but you could definitely cut it smaller. I promise no one will mistake them for Christmas wreaths!

15 comments:

  1. What a Terrific Idea! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is such a lovely thing to do for that family and these treats look absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG OMG OMG!!! I can't wait to try this recipe! I'm gonna do it this weekend! Thank you thank you thank you for the idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I participated in Desserts for the Deserving too and darn - should have thought to make those happy rice krispies treats! So fun!
    You are a good person!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kristen, thanks so much for the great inspiration on the R.K. treats! I was afraid to mail anything with chocolate because it was over 100 degrees here. These were PERFECT & super cute all packaged up. :)

      Delete
  5. These look so cute!! :D I might try this for my graduation!
    But, how fast do they dry up?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to try these, do you know how long they last for when popped on the sticks and wrapped in gift bags/cellophane?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carey, I'm a rice krispie treats snob & I like them best the day they are made. But they will definitely stay fresh (if sealed very well) for a couple of days. I've heard you can freeze RKT for up to 6 weeks. Google for some info on freezing if you want to give that a try.

      Delete
  7. I want to try these, do you know how long they last for when popped on the sticks and wrapped in gift bags/cellophane?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Sprinkle Some Sunshine! I just made myself this treat with my bestest estest friend ever in the whole wide world, Anonymous (Peg)! What a treat that was! Thanks for the great recipe, it was one for the history books!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...