Tuesday, November 22, 2011

mom's holiday dinner rolls party!

PRINT RECIPE ONLY

Wednesday Thanksgiving Report: I’m getting excited; tomorrow is the day! I love to plan menus but there isn’t much menu planning for Thanksgiving, There is plenty of shopping & cooking & baking but the menu was set many years ago & we enjoy the long established traditional feast!

What’s on your menu? This is what we will be dining on:

Turkey and Gravy
Cranberry Sauce
Mashed potatoes
Sweet potatoes (no marshmallows)
Mom’s Holiday Rolls
Pillsbury Crescents (don’t judge)
Homemade Cornbread Stuffing
Corn
Green Bean Casserole (for me!)
Deviled Eggs (for Mark)
Pumpkin Pie with real whipped cream
Individual Chocolate Brownie Mousse Trifles (for Monica)

I could easily live without the turkey, crazy, huh? I’m most looking forward to the sweet potatoes, stuffing, mashed potatoes & gravy & homemade rolls. Speaking of rolls, the Pillsbury Crescents are for Monica. I know! What kind of child have I raised? She’s perfect in every other way, I swear! I live for homemade bread!

This recipe is another favorite family tradition. My mom has made these for every holiday as long as I can remember & they are so good. They are light & fluffy & buttery. They make any meal complete but they must be served on Easter, Thanksgiving & Christmas.

Mom’s Holiday Rolls

ingredients:

1 package regular dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
3/4 cup milk, scalded
1/4 cup butter
1 egg
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar
3 1/2 cups flour (approximately)

directions:

1. Dissolve yeast in warm water in large bowl. Set aside.

2. Scald milk in microwave. I put it in a 4 cup glass measuring cup & cook on high for a couple of minutes. You want it to boil but not boil over. While milk is hot, add butter, stir it a bit until the butter melts in the hot milk. (I accidentally used a whole stick of butter today & it turned out just fine.)


3. After milk & butter cools for a few minutes, stir the egg, salt & milk mixture into the yeast.

4. Using a fork, stir in sugar & 2 cups flour to form a batter.


5. Add enough additional flour to make dough easy to handle.



6. Knead dough on floured surface for five minutes. Add additional flour, if needed. Place dough in greased bowl covered with a damp cloth, in a warm place, to rise until doubled, at least 1 hour.





7. Punch dough down and shape into rolls. Place in greased 9x13 pan & cover & allow to rise again.




8. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with melted butter & serve.


AND...
--> CONGRATS to my cute cousin, Kendall, who won a BLUE RIBBON at the fair with this recipe! I'm going to try the cloverleaf next time. He's a PRO & I’m so proud of him!! 


31 comments:

  1. I just had Kendall read this and he is so excited he made it on a blog!! LOL Thanks for including him. I hope he keeps his interest in cooking. Next year is tea ring for 4H! YUMMY!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving this recipe - I've been looking for a basic dinner roll recipe, and this one looks so buttery and delicious, yum! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing rolls - defintion of comfort food! You have one more ReicpeNewZ feature: http://www.facebook.com/RecipeNewZ Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not to be dumb but do you use regular flour, self rising, bread flour? I just wanted to make sure before I started on this venture! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I use all purpose flour. Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  5. I tried this recipe and my dough never rose. Do you have any suggestions on what I did wrong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hayley, I'm sorry you had trouble with the yeast rising. Here are a few things that may have happened: yeast that is not fresh, water (or milk) that is too hot that it kills the yeast, water that is too cold that it won't activate the yeast. Also if your kitchen is too cold it may rise slower. I made these for Thanksgiving yesterday & they rose perfectly. I know it's frustrating when an ingredient doesn't cooperate. I hope you'll give it another try. Good luck!

      Delete
  6. I have tried this recipe three times now, and each time I get the same results - the balls of dough do not rise and get as "pretty and puffy" as the ones in the picture. The taste has been good but they are flat and lumpy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry! It sounds like a problem with the yeast not activating properly. I buy the jar of Fleischmann's Active Dry Yeast & store it in the fridge. I'm glad you like the taste even though the yeast didn't work well for you!

      Delete
  7. I made them and love them! My brother ate like 7 yesterday.

    I want to make a double batch for Thanksgiving and my question is: If I double the recipe will it change my rising time, etc? Or is it better to do two separate batches?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amber, I'm so glad you love them! I asked my mom & she said to definitely make 2 separate batches. :)

      Delete
  8. Could you make these and then put them in the fridge over night and cook the next day. I would like to make them for christmas but I would like to make the day before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, YES, you can make them the night before. Just cover them with plastic wrap sprayed with cooking spray & refrigerate right after you shape them into rolls. They will rise slowly in the refrigerator. When ready to bake, take them out of the fridge, loosen the plastic wrap, set them out for 30 to 60 minutes & CAREFULLY remove the plastic wrap so you don't deflate the dough. Bake as directed. :)

      Delete
  9. Wow! I made this recipe today and it was excellent! They were a big hit, my family gave them five stars! I will definitely be making these again! Thanks so much for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by to let me know you enjoyed them! I'm happy to pass on my family traditions. Happy New Year!

      Delete
  10. for best results, the water must be between 100-110 degrees. Put the water in a small bowl and add the yeast. Let it sit for 10 minuits or until it foams up, then added it to the other ingredents. The milk should not be warmer than 110 degrees. It works for me, give it a try. If the water or milk is too hot it will kill the yeast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for sharing your experience with liquid temperatures needed for yeast! I know this will be helpful to some readers. :)

      Delete
  11. sigh..just made these for the 4th time and they didnt rise properly and cooked up like hockey pucks, i know what i did wrong, I used the only flour i had in the house, cake and pastry flour .. too bad as we love these buns when they turn out.. will keep making them providing i buy and use the correct flour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Frances! I'm so happy to hear that you've had good luck with this recipe & love them! I'm glad you know what went wrong this time. Yep, good old all-purpose flour is what you need. Thanks for sharing! :)

      Delete
  12. Mine are in the oven now! I was a little worried that the water I dissolved the yeast in was not warm enough because it did not foam, but the dough doubled in size (I had turned the oven on 250 for 10 minutes then turned it off to let it rise). The second rising was perfect in a muffin pan (cloverleaf style) and they are baking right now. The smell is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rhonda, thanks for stopping by & letting me know about your dinner rolls! I'm craving them now & wishing I were in your kitchen to enjoy the smells & tastes!

      Delete
  13. Hi, after making these back in December of last year, I have continued to make them over the last 11 months and they are great every time! I was wondering, can I use rapid-rise yeast in the recipe? I am making them for Thanksgiving and am worried about the bread having enough time to rise. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How many rolls does one batch make?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have made this recipe for both Thanksgiving and Christmas for the last 3 years - the only time I had a fail was when I tried making dough ahead and covering with plastic wrap. When I removed it, poof! Wondering if anyone has tried parbaking ahead of time and then polishing off?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I'm so happy this has become your go-to holiday roll recipe!! I haven't ever tried par-baking. Whenever I cover bread dough with plastic wrap I spray the plastic wrap thoroughly with baking spray so it doesn't stick & cause the risen dough to deflate. Hope this helps! :)

      Delete
  16. My dough didn't rise. I used fresh yeast. I think I may have used too much flour???? Suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly, the water you dissolved your yeast in or the milk mixture was probably either not warm enough to activate the yeast OR too hot and it may have killed your yeast. King Arthur has some great tips for bread making. Check out this link and scroll down to read about proofing yeast: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/learn/yeast-bread-primer.html
      Another reader also commented above with specific temperatures for your liquids. Hope this helps!

      Delete
  17. Hi! I'm a newer addition to the family having married into it and there is a traditional family recipe that all of us bakers have been trying to duplicate.They call them ' lightning biscuits' of course the recipe we have isn't complete. Lol. My question is could you get a lighter, fluffier roll if you let the dough rise 3 times before baking? This seems to be the missing step the the family recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This recipe is another favorite family tradition. My mom has made these for every holiday as long as I can remember & they are so good. They are light & fluffy & buttery. They make any meal complete but they must be served on Easter, Thanksgiving & Christmas. pandora necklace wholesale france , pandora necklace wholesale uk

    ReplyDelete
  19. Christmas is just around the corner, Everyone deserves to party together, no matter how senior they are. So, Here are a few exciting Virtual Christmas Party ideas for 2021 to try out for your next virtual holiday party!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...