Friday, January 13, 2012

apple crostata AKA flat apple pie party


PRINT RECIPE ONLY

I would love to be a Food Network star but you know who I really want to be? JEFFREY (Ina Garten’s husband)! He hangs out at his house all day, typing on his computer or sitting on his gorgeous front porch reading a book & The Barefoot Contessa brings him delicious & lovingly prepared food three times a day. She pours his wine & butters his bread.

I have several of Ina’s cookbooks & I always have great results with her recipes. She’s not my favorite Food Network star to watch but the lady can cook! Today I made this beautiful Apple Crostata from Ina Garten & it was so much better than apple pie. I increased the ingredients for the cinnamon sugar topping because that's my favorite part.

I'm sure Ina is super nice in real life but her air of sophistication sometimes comes across as snobbish, in my opinion. The way she tells her viewers to “only use the best ingredients” bugs me. Duh, Ina, I'm going to use the “best ingredients” I can afford. But I’m not going to have live lobsters shipped to me to make your seafood bisque. And I don’t have an orchard outside my East Hampton Estates mansion or organic farmer’s markets in my small town. So yeah, if my tomato is a few days past ripe, I’m still going to use it.

Disclaimer: I’m probably just jealous. Ina is giving us under-achieving wives a bad name. We make our husbands go to work everyday & force them to microwave their own leftovers & butter their own bread after a hard day. If we catch them relaxing with a book, we nag that the Christmas lights are still up. Yep, jealous! I want to be Jeffrey!

Apple Crostata AKA Flat Apple Pie

ingredients

for the pastry:

1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 pound (1 stick) very cold unsalted butter, diced
2-3 tablespoons ice water

for the filling:

1 1/2 pounds McIntosh, Macoun, or Empire apples (3 large) *see note on step 5
1/4 teaspoon grated orange zest
1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, diced

directions

1. For the pastry, place the flour, sugar, and salt in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Pulse a few times to combine. Add the butter and pulse 12 to 15 times, or until the butter is the size of peas. Add the ice water and keep hitting the pulse button to combine, but stop the machine just before the dough becomes a solid mass.


2. Turn the dough onto a well-floured board and form into a disk. Wrap with plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.

3. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.

4. Flour a rolling pin and roll the pastry into an 11-inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Transfer the pastry to a parchment paper lined baking sheet.

5. For the filling, peel, core, and cut the apples into 8ths. I actually cut my 1/8's in half because I wanted to make sure my apples cooked thoroughly. Cut each wedge into 3 chunks. *I like to use a mix of tart & sweet apples so I used 1 of each: Granny Smith, Fuji & Jonagold. It was perfect! Toss the apple chunks with the orange zest. You won't taste the orange zest at all, but it brightens the flavors of the apples.

6. Cover the tart dough with the apple chunks leaving a 1 1/2-inch border.

7. Combine the flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon, and allspice in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture is crumbly. Pour into a bowl and rub it with your fingers until it starts holding together. Sprinkle evenly on the apples.

8. Gently fold the border over the apples to enclose the dough, pleating it to make a circle.

9. Bake the crostata for 30 to 40 minutes, until the crust is golden and the apples are tender. I had to cover the edges with foil for the last 10 minutes because they browned too quickly. Allow to cool.

10. Serve warm or at room temperature with a little caramel sundae, dusted with cinnamon on the side.
Note: If you don't have a food processor, just use a pastry cutter. I don't usually use my food processor for pastry because my food processor is small. But this recipe worked perfectly in it & made it SO easy.

19 comments:

  1. As always this looks delicious! I am trying this for sure! I love reading your commentary! You are so witty and fun! Keep up the GREAT work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, you should definitely put this one on your to-do list! I'm so glad you are enjoying the recipes & ramblings! :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for your sweet comments on my blog. :-) Speaking of sweet, your blog is making me hungry! And you hit the nail right on the head re: Food Network stars. LOL! Can't wait to try your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam, welcome to Sprinkle Some Sunshine! It's so nice to meet you! I look forward to reading more at your blog too! :)

      Delete
  3. LOL about flying in lobsters! I can't even afford them at our (inland) Kroger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, I'm right there with you! I've never bought lobster of any kind, except at a restaurant. I'm more of the fake krab, type of girl, love that stuff, lol!

      Delete
  4. I like Ina too and you're right about the Jeffery swap! I've looked at this recipe but have always made apple pie instead. Maybe I'll give it a try after reading your post. Nice pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dianne! What's your favorite Ina recipe? I up'd the sugar topping a tiny bit from Ina's original recipe, as shown above. Let me know how you like it!

      Delete
  5. I think you should use the Pampered Chef Apple Wedger! LOL It would make it so much faster for you!! :) Looks soooooo YUMMY!! Love ya!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right! Next time I make this I will definitely use my apple wedger. I love that thing; it's the sharpest apple wedger on earth! :)

      Delete
  6. I really like your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you create this website yourself or did you
    hire someone to do it for you? Plz respond as I'm looking to construct my own blog and would like to find out where u got this from. kudos
    My blog post - trade penny stocks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very great post. I simply stumbled upon your weblog and
    wanted to mention that I've really loved surfing around your blog posts. After all I will be subscribing to your feed and I'm hoping
    you write once more soon!
    My website :: play roulette online real money

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am curious to find out what blog system you’re using? I’m experiencing some minor security problems with my latest site and I would like to find something more safe. Do you have any recommendations?And it's my website robinetshop.com about water taps,welcome to visit anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  9. http://www.robinetsale.com/ , pas seulement un produit fonctionnel, dans l'eau, dans la salle de douche. Dans de nombreux cas, il fait partie d'une robinetterie cuisine, la salle de bains décorée vraiment quelque chose que beaucoup d'entre nous passons beaucoup de temps à choisir. robinets cascade peuvent Robinetterie Antique cher, aussi longtemps que vous êtes la seule chose est d'obtenir le stock ou le niveau de la Accessoires de salle. Si vous souhaitez passer à un meilleur projet, cependant, vous serez donc payer une Robinetterie Vasque.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All of our products are sold from factory directly, igorous manufacturing and testing processes. You must can find one suit for your house here. We also offering everyday update special price products. The more products you buy, the more discounts will be.Choosing from a large selection of high quality taps at http://www.cheaptap.co.uk/ . Find new design of antique taps, LED taps, waterfall taps and so on.

    ReplyDelete
  11. http://www.faucetsmarket.com/kitchen-faucets-pull-out-kitchen-faucets-c-22_26.html Engliand refers to pick out from the Shower faucet water drinkable and free restaurants and bars in the UK. From the mid-century, the British have worked on Bathroom accessories aspects of safe drinking water

    ReplyDelete
  12. thanks for the tips and information..i really appreciate it..
    Küchenarmaturen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Acer Support is a team of well experienced experts who takes care of your Acer devices. If you are facing any problem with your Acer device like your device is crashed, device is not working properly or any other problem then contact toll free number of Acer Tech Support and get instant help.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...