It’s warm, creamy, herby, cheesy and meets all of my requirements for classic comfort food! It’s beginning to look a lot like COAT SEASON here & I need some comfort. I hope to be a snowbird someday & be able to fly SOUTH for the winter. Until then, I’ll spend winter in my cozy kitchen making soup & baking bread.
The inspiration of this recipe is from a restaurant that I think closed years ago. Does anyone remember Stuart Anderson’s Cattle Company? They had a loaded baked potato soup that was to die for. I lightened the recipe (a little bit) & I still think it’s to die for.
Click HERE for the bread bowl recipe. They make a good couple!
Creamy Baked Potato Soup
5 large baking potatoes
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup to 1/2 cup flour, depending on how thick you like it (I used 1/4 cup)
1 medium white onion, finely chopped
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
4 cups milk
2 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon salt or to taste
1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper or to taste
6 green onions, chopped & divided
1/2 pound bacon, cooked & crumbled
2 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded & divided
1 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon dried or 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1. Wash, dry & bake potatoes at 400 degrees for one hour or until done. I just put the potatoes right on the oven rack. Allow to cool. Cut into half lengthwise and scoop out pulp. Cut potato pulp into bite sized pieces; set aside. Use skins for something else like stuffed potato skins.
2. Melt butter in large saucepan over low heat. Add white onion & celery & saute for a couple of minutes. Add flour, whisking until smooth. Cook 1 minute stirring constantly.
3. Gradually whisk in milk and chicken broth & cook over medium heat, until mixture thickens a bit and is slightly bubbly. Don't boil.
4. Add potato pulp, salt, pepper, herbs, half of the chopped green onions & 1 1/2 cups cheese. Cook until thoroughly heated. Whisk in sour cream & remove from heat.
5. Serve with remaining green onions, bacon & cheese.
p.s. potato soup is so versatile, here are a few ideas for you: add chopped cooked carrots, omit celery, add a tablespoon or 2 of bacon grease with the butter, stir in half the cooked bacon instead of using as garnish or prepare the soup vegetarian using vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.